top of page
  • Samuel Fuller

MJHS Defeats Lincoln County 43-6 In Round 1 of the 2022 Class 5A State Playoffs

MJHS Student Section

On November 4, The MJHS Bears went up against the 2-7 Lincoln County Falcons.

The Bears started the game from their 32, and quickly made their way downfield from passes to number 6, Osize Daniyan, with number 24, Jon'Mikael Crudup having a 40-yard rush touchdown. Eccheverria's extra point attempt was good, and the Bears had an early lead of 7-0 with 11:02 left in the first quarter.

The Falcons slowly made their way down the field over 8 plays and 1 fourth-down conversion, before making a 35-yard pass play for the touchdown. Number 7, Dearrius Morton, in a similar style to his play at the Green Hill game, got around the line and blocked the extra point attempt. Because of this, the Bears remained on top at 7-6 with 6:34 left in the first quarter.

The Bears started their drive on the 33 following a return by number 19, Walker Phillips. Number 3, Tyler Travers' pass to number 8, Walter Bowers IV, was incomplete, however, this mistake was reconciled with a 43-yard rush by Crudup, bringing the ball to the Falcons 34. Morton ran the final 34 yards for the touchdown, and Eccheverria's kick was good, which brought the score to 14-6 with 5:43 left in the first quarter.

Due to a Falcons player swinging at an MJ player, the Bears had an opportunity for an onside kick, which the Falcons fumbled to be recovered by number 28, Rayder Soto, on the 37. After a small gain on 2nd down by Morton, Travers threw a screen pass to Daniyan, who then threw the ball to number 13, Baylor Osborne, for Daniyan's first touchdown pass and Osborne's first touchdown. Eccheverria's kick was good, and the Bears were up 21-6 with 4:48 left in the first quarter.

The Falcons started on their 35-yard line from an excessive celebration penalty on Osborne on the touchdown. After 8 plays, the Falcons were at 4th and 8 on the 37. The Falcons were unable to make the conversion, and the Bears took over from downs on their 37-yard line.

The Bears had an unsuccessful drive, having a net loss in yards, and had to punt from their 35-yard line.

The Falcons started their drive on the 16-yard line but were forced into a quick three-and-out, putting the Bears at their 38-yard line.

Daniyan, Crudup and Morton all moved the ball downfield, but on second down, Crudup fumbled the ball, which was recovered by number 76, Maston Kimbrough, on the 40-yard line. Travers ran on 3rd down, but lost a yard, making it 4th and 7 on the 41-yard line. Crudup ran on a fake punt, but was unable to make the conversion; the Falcons took over on the MJ 36.

The Bears' defense forced a quick three and out, taking over on downs on the 37.

Morton, along with number 5, Keion Irby's catch, brought the Bears down to the Falcon's 44. Travers threw to Daniyan, who jumped the tackler, causing a penalty, and then made 3 more passes, 2 of which were incomplete, to bring the Bears to 3rd and 1 on the 22.

Crudup made the 1st down, which brought the opportunity for a pass to Daniyan for a 22-yard touchdown. Eccheverria's kick was good, and the Bears were up 28-6 with 18 seconds left in the half.

With no time left in the first half, the Falcons could only make one play.

The Falcons started the half from their 20-yard line. The Bears quickly forced a punt and recovered the ball on the Falcons' 49.

The Bears made their way down to the 11-yard line, where Travers ran the ball in for a touchdown and set up a fake kick, which was run in by Osborne, his second 2-point conversion of the year. The Bears were up 36-6 with 8:05 left in the third quarter.

The Falcons started on the 30-yard line, and from a failed rush and 2 incomplete passes, the Bears reclaimed the ball on their 30-yard line.

Travers did not make an onfield appearance after his touchdown for the rest of the game. Morton took 2 direct snaps, the second of which led to a 52-yard rush touchdown, and combined with Ecchevrria's kick, the Bears were up 43-6.

The Falcons started from their 16-yard line, and after a 12-yard rush for another first down, the Bears quickly shut down the Falcons, forcing a punt that was recovered on the Bears' 14-yard line.

Number 17, Taytum Mccann, was put in as quarterback and held the offense on the field for 8 plays before the Bears were forced to punt. The Falcons received the ball on their 37.

The Falcons' drive lasted for the remainder of the game, and they ran down the field to the Bears' 29-yard line before time ran out, leaving the Bears on top at 43-6.

The Bears will host Page High School at home on Friday, November 11.

6 views0 comments


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page