Gypsy Rose and The Death of Dee Dee Blanchard

Updated: Sep 10, 2019

On the night of June 14, 2015, Claudine — better known as Dee Dee — Blanchard was found deceased in her bed with multiple stab wounds from days prior.

Dee Dee Blanchard and her daughter, Gypsy Rose, lived together in Greene County, Missouri. From an outsider’s perspective, their lives were filled with hope and love. In reality, this was not the case.

According to Dee Dee, Gypsy suffered from leukemia and asthma along with many other chronic illnesses from a young age. Along with that, she was born prematurely, giving her the "mental capacity of a 7-year-old due to brain damage."

As heart-rending as this may sound, none of it is actually true.

Dee Dee Blanchard came up with fraudulent documents claiming Gypsy suffered from all sorts of mental and physical conditions, but not a single doctor could find any real evidence of her having any.

Bobby Pitre, Dee Dee’s nephew, claims that Gypsy's birth was slightly premature, which could have possibly affected the development of her skull. Other than that, however, she had no other known health issues.

When Gypsy was around seven or eight, Bobby recalls that she went riding with her grandfather on the back of his motorcycle where there was a small crash. Gypsy only suffered an abrasion on her knee, but her mother argued that it could require several surgeries to treat properly. Ever since the accident, Dee Dee forced Gypsy to stay in a wheelchair, even though there were obvious signs she was capable of walking.

For Gypsy’s entire life, Dee Dee had forced her to look younger and pretend to be chronically ill. She underwent surgeries, took medication she never needed and was physically and mentally abused by her mother. Because of this, Gypsy herself began to believe she really was disabled.

Gypsy Rose eventually grew tired of feeling like she was being held captive in her own home. She wanted nothing more than to live her own life away from her abusive mother. Gypsy secretly met this man, Nicholas Godejohn, on a dating website. They began dating and soon after, Gypsy asked Nick to do something for her: help her kill Dee Dee.

A few days after they killed committed the crime, Gypsy and Nick were caught by the police after concerning Facebook posts concerned their neighbors. In the end, Gypsy Rose pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and is currently serving a 10-year sentence. She is set to be released in 2023. However, Nicholas Godejohn was sentenced to life in prison.

Dee Dee Blanchard was a very cataclysmic mother who held Gypsy Rose under tight restraints, but her life never should have ended this way. The situation for both of them could have been handled a million different ways, but this case will definitely go down in history.

#mckaylahunt #feature

Recent Posts

See All

People's Choice Awards 2019: A Recap

By Annie Humphrey - The People’s Choice Awards were hosted by E! Entertainment on Sunday, Nov. 10 in Santa Monica, Calif. This awards show celebrates all types of entertainment from TV shows to social

The Golden Bear Gazette

1875 Golden Bear Gateway

Mt. Juliet, TN 37122

(615) 583-9821‬


Student Life


Trends and Fashion